Κυριακή 13 Δεκεμβρίου 2015

Why can't I hold all these Sherlocks

Yes it's another Sherlock article , with a vengeance. Basically I am writing this with a small hurry as I want to not have to write about the cool looking Christmas special in the same article as Mr Holmes. This might actually be the best time to be a Sherlockian. You know, besides the time when Doyle was actually writing new stories.

Firstly I would like to offer a half apology. In my last article I was called out by Metax when I said that the Elementary Sherlock was the least Sherlock-like Sherlock that Sherlocked in the (w)Holmes world. During Season 2,which I have partially watched, he becomes more serious indeed. He does become more classic . However I still stand by my opinion that he is my least favorite Sherlock, as I still find him a little too punky, for lack of a better term. He is just not my cup of tea. Furthermore,one more nitpick is the fact that they make his a little less misanthrope as part of his character development. He still is suspicious of everyone and everything, and he  is still strange, but he starts to shift a little. I can't really explain it as it is very subtle , but my best effort would be that he is becoming the Sherlock Watson wrote about, not the Sherlock Doyle wrote about. This is minor thought and the show is still great.

On the other end of the spectrum, I now expect some sympathy from you, as I made a terrific sacrifice. I watched Opera Detective Milky Sherlock . In Japanese no less. Now here we have  the least Sherlock-like properties of anything Sherlock. Let's break the title bit by bit. Firstly this has nothing to do with Opera so that goes out the window. Secondly there was zero milk in that show,not even in fucking tea. Thirdly, Sherlock is the nickname of a girl who is not only unrelated to Sherlock , she is not even our main character or part of the main group. It's like if the main focus of Fullmetal Alchemist was Armstrong (which I would force the Darth family line to watch for generations) or if Dragonballs was about the ears of that cat that lives in that tower(that I would not watch). And lastly let's go to the least right word in the title. Detective. In that universe Detective is not a person that stealthily finds information about crimes and then solves them. No. Detective is a term given to little moe girls (moe is likely not the right term but I don't give a fuck) with magic powers in their eyes that dress up like a combination between a maid and a dress made entirely out of the material the hunting cap is made. These Detectives fight a group of criminals ,who also have eye powers, so colorful and stupid that even Team Rocket is making fun of them. With a plot full of ass-pulls and a plot twist more telegraphed than an attack from a big God of War boss, I was unable to enjoy that show. Now here is the thing thought. People on the internet actually quite liked it. So either I am an uneducated and uninitiated buffoon in the moe girl anime genre or people on the internet like shit. Either is possible when you watch Eye-Powered Misdressed Lolis (that sorta fight crimes I guess).

Next on the list of opinions people will hate me for , Sherlock Holmes Videogames. One of them to be exact. I  am quite proud to say that at the timing of writing my Sherlock Collection is missing just the newest game that came out this year. Earlier this year I tried to play the Silver Earring one with one of my sisters. Truth be told we had fun. We enjoyed the aged voice acting and we did a synchronized "dun dun duuuun" when Sherlock dropped the title. The thing is that the game involved finding items hidden behind things and all that point and click jazz, which I am horrendous at. I definitely enjoyed the part where I was Watson and I was trying to follow Sherlock's logic of what the freak is going on, and the game really does expect you to look over your clues . Smart design all around. I was however unable to continue the whole look for stuff charade. I am just shit at it.

Lastly , Mr Holmes.  If you go in expecting to see Holmes kick asses and solve crimes then you went for the wrong movie. We follow Sherlock very late in his life, forgetful and fragile. It revolves around him struggling to remember his final case, which he failed to solve, even thought Watson wrote otherwise. I got kinda angry when the movie started making Adler noises but thankfully I was wrong. Essentially we look at a very old Sherlock trying to solve two completely new mysteries, the mystery of his forgotten past and the mystery of why his favorite bees are dying. Both mundane sounding but they were handled very well. The main actor [name here] also looked like he was having fun, probably because he wasn't forced to act at a green room for a change. And yes if you look at Hobbits behind the scenes footage that is acting at , not in, a green screen room.

While writing this article I came to the realization that this whole Sherlock wave , with his many incarnations in different times and ages ,might be a fad born thanks to Robert Downey and kept alive thanks to Cumberbatch.  Eventually people will move over it and go to another subject that they can put incredibly attractive men on. But let's face it , Doyle's work is timeless and a lot of care has been put in many of those projects, giving us a nice way to initiate people in this wonderful world. Normal people will become Sherlocked and Sherlocked people will become Sherlockians. And eventually this is going to come back and we will get a chance to greet those people with our deerstalker hats. That Sherlock never  actually wore.

Δεν υπάρχουν σχόλια:

Δημοσίευση σχολίου